I’m fascinated with language. Not in a “learn big words and use them
properly” kind of way… that would require work. I’m more interested in how and when new words
and phrases enter our lexicon (I used lexicon, get over it). I’m especially
enamored when this newly created language is somewhat blue. That’s right.
I’m drawn to the lurid glow of PG-13.
I thought I would have outgrown such juvenile joys by now. I haven’t.
In fact, I hold the strong belief that no matter how old I get, there
will always be a 12 year old boy inside me that giggles anytime he hears the
word “balls”… regardless of context.
snicker, snicker…
To be honest, I haven’t heard a “new” cuss words in over 25
years. Frankly, I think we’re tapped
out. I’m guessing it will take the
discovery of alien life forms with bizarre body openings and/or mating rituals
for anything fresh to come down the pike.
In my younger days I briefly toyed with the idea of learning
profanity in other languages… just to broaden my horizons. The only problem was I couldn’t find enough
trustworthy sources (there really needs to be an annex course at the local junior
college. Coincidentally, if anyone
reading this knows someone from Rosetta Stone, drop me a line. I have a great business opportunity for them).
The boxes are already
made
But all has not been lost in this quest to expand my questionable
vocabulary. Fellow wordsmiths have gotten
creative. How… you say? By taking existing dirty words and combining
them with other (often innocuous) verbiage.
This “hey you got your chocolate in my peanut butter” approach to word
building has produced interesting, and giggle-worthy, results. Early examples of these gems include “butt
munch” and “fart knocker” from Beavis and Butthead. Mike Judge, I applaud you.
One of the more interesting combinations out there is the
title of this post… Asshat. As I mentioned
earlier… I’m a bit of a forensic linguist when it comes to discovering the
origins of new cuss words (okay, I didn’t really say that). And I think I may have discovered the genesis
of this one:
Mitch: That was "have a pleasant
and restful evening."
Ed: No, that was "I like your ass.
Can I wear it as a hat?"
- --- City
Slickers
You’re right. I have
no real proof AND technically they don’t use the word asshat in this
conversation. However, it’s my strong
opinion that there was enough raw material in that dialog for any
self-respecting delinquent to connect the dots.
Plus, I don’t remember hearing that term before the movie came out… so I’m
declaring this a fact. Take that…
internet!
Because “buttcap”
sounds too real
That’s all I’ve got for today. If any of you have some cuss-hybrid doozies
you’d like to share, please add them to the comments section below. Let us all broaden our language base together. Thanks for reading.
Here’s one to get you started… douche nozzle.



A popular term at U of I in the mid-80s was "cheesedick.". I would find it hard to define precisely, but, like asshat, you kind of get it based on connotation. I don't recall finding it particularly useful, but I never was a frat boy. But perhaps this is a bad example because I don't think it was widely used by people in the real world.
ReplyDeleteall I have is "swamp-ass" and "mud-butt" but they are self-explanatory. :)
ReplyDeleteI think I have those, too. Must run in the family.
Delete