Earlier this week, my wife and I received a note from my
son's school regarding an upcoming video that would be shown to his 5th grade
class. To be more specific, there are
two videos. One for the girls and one
for the boys. To be less specific, you probably know what these videos are about. I saw the boy version in the 5th or 6th
grade. I don't really remember the
details, but I do recall being let down.
I'm pretty sure my friends and I expected to witness to an erotic
cross between an After School Special
and Debbie Does Dallas. Instead, we
were treated to a 1950s-era epic named Your
Gonads and You (or something like that).
Spot the virgins
I wasn't overly concerned about my son watching the video. In fact, my wife had "the talk"
with both our boys over a year ago. At
the time, she said they took it fairly well.
Even though they were young, they acted maturely. There were a few questions, but nothing she
couldn't handle. I was happy it happened
when it did... and extremely happy that I was nowhere to be found. I hope that someday soon she'll have "the
talk" with me (there are still several things I'd like sorted out).
Knowing that my son had been exposed to this knowledge
previously, I asked him tonight when his class would be watching "the movie". I was confident this would be a quick
conversation... merely a formality.
After about three questions it became apparent that not only did he have
no clue regarding what I was talking about... but he had no memory of "the talk" with his Mom from over a year ago.
Trapped in a conversation I was ill equipped to lead, I figured the best
way out would be get things over with quickly.
As I tested the
"what's" and "how's" of his knowledge base, I realized I'd
have to go places I was hoping to avoid.
When all was said and done, he looked me in the eye and simply said...
"ew". As far as I can tell,
that means he got it.
This brings me to my own father. I don't recall that we ever had such a
discussion. In all fairness, we didn't
need to. I have an older brother. His job from day one has been to ruin things
for me. Santa Claus. Babies.
After his ten year old world was crushed, I usually had my eight year
old world destroyed ten minutes later.
"and that's why
they call it a puppy mill..."
As far as I can recall, here's the closest conversation that
my father and I had regarding the birds and the bees. In fact, this is a story he has probably told
a hundred times over the years. He usually
tells it when there is somebody around that I'd like to impress. It goes like this (told in my Dad's voice)...
"When your mother and I first got married, we decided
that we wanted A LOT of children. We had
hoped to have eleven sons. That way we
could have our own football team. Eleven
strong boys. Well... after you're
brother was born, we realized that having a child is more difficult than we
thought. So, we revised our plans. We scaled back. From then on, we dreamed of having five
boys. Five's a great number. With five we could have our own basketball
team. Then... after YOU were born, we
realized we should have stopped at one".
Not quite "the talk", but it sure makes me laugh.


Makes me laugh, too!
ReplyDeleteDawn W