I’m not sure why I’m telling you this, but I have another colonoscopy scheduled for this
Friday. As you’ve probably deduced, that
means I’ve had one of these “medically sanctioned sodomies” before. As you’ve probably also surmised… I’ve begun to reluctantly accept the suffix “oscopy”
as part of the everyday language of my mid-40s life.
To be fair, the previous procedure wasn’t that bad. In fact, I had two, two, two procedures in
one. The medical staff performed a colonoscopy
AND endoscopy on me at the same time. Now
“at the same time” may evoke a disturbing image. So, just to be clear… they performed one
procedure and then the other procedure immediately after. My only request to the doctor as I was rolled
into the operating room was that they wipe down all the equipment at half time.
Apparently, he had heard that one
before.
The good news… I was under general anesthesia and didn’t
feel a thing. That comforted me greatly
until I realized that somewhere on the internet pictures may exist of me being
spun on a giant spit by a hoard of scrub-wearing, medical-degree-having,
hooligans. Most likely that didn’t occur…
but that doesn’t stop me from Google Image searching it from time to time just
to be sure.
Because a real picture
was too disturbing.
The bad news… the pregame.
For those who haven’t experienced a colonoscopy yet, here’s the rub. In order for the doctor to get a good look at
the goods, you need to be clean as a whistle down there. To facilitate that condition for my last
procedure, the doctor’s office provided me with a giant tub of liquid to
consume the day before. The process was
simple. I drank about 200 ounces of premixed
“turbolax” and then I made sweet, sweet love to my toilet for the next 12 hours.
Those were good times.
Again… illustrations
are a much better choice.
Now here’s the funny part.
This time around, the doctor’s office didn’t provide that same, easy solution. Maybe it’s because I’m an oscopy-veteran. Maybe the “wipe down the equipment” joke didn’t
go over well… who knows? Instead, I was
sent a list of over-the-counter products that would replicate the results. At first that didn’t seem like a big
deal. It wasn’t until I was standing in
the checkout line with a heaping pile of laxatives that I started to get
uncomfortable. I half expected the
freckle-faced, teenage check-out clerk to alert Homeland Security of my unusual
purchase. I mean, they track the
ingredients that meth dealers use to produce their product. Why wouldn’t my shopping basket full of "enough
intestinal Drano to take down a small village" set off more than a few red flags? Maybe she was too busy laughing to care.
So now we wait. I’ve
still got a couple of days to go before I mix up my sinister concoction and release the Kraken. The only thing I have
left to decide is if I go for it and order the XXL Steak Nachos from Taco Bell tomorrow
for lunch. Why not… right?


No comments:
Post a Comment